Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Really? No One Has It?

Okay, but what about television shows and magazines? They seem like they know everything, what’s wrong with them?

In my opinion the television makeover shows are great fun but what I think is bad is that the person being made over is pretty much humiliated. On some of those shows they show people at their absolute worst and then pour salt on the wound. They then trash the person’s entire wardrobe and tear them down to build them back up, none of that is supportive to who they are as individual. Which brings me to my next point, the purpose of makeover shows is to be entertaining not informative so the information given is often lacking and occasionally cryptic. You won’t get help unless you have the same body type, skin color, same age and same problem as the person being made over.

The truth is that if you are a total jeans and t-shirt person you are not going to leave a makeover show and continue to wear pencil skirts and halter dresses. Those clothes will hang in your closet and you’ll go back to old faithful. The truth is that in order to support who are and elevate you to the next level it should be about exploring who someone is and introducing them to something new. For example, you’re a jeans and t-shirt person well what about a wide leg trouser jean (for those with booty and thighs, skinny minnys try a cigarette jean) with a cashmere t-shirt? That’s a whole new fancy-pants look that’s still jeans and a t-shirt. Do you get how that steps it up? Even something like a super dark wash jean, heels, and a super soft t-shirt in a super rich color is crazy sophisticated and can look quite glamorous and dressed up with cool accessories and a polished, structured purse. I could honestly care less if your entire wardrobe is “jeans and t-shirts” as long as it’s the gammit of jeans and t-shirts.

And seriously, if you thought television and magazines had all the answers you would not be here, right? And if you thought your jeans and t-shirt (or whatever) look was seriously rocking you would not be here either. I don’t want to set your closet on fire and force you to start fresh with some look that isn’t really you. I don’t want to poke fun at the embarrassments in your closets and smack you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper I want to help you to figure out how to rock your bod and look as good as possible as many days out of the year as possible.

Listen, no one knows everything. Read that again. Now let me repeat it in case you didn’t go back and re-read it….NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT FASHION. NO ONE. Okay? I’m about to let you on a really big secret. The fashion industry wants you to be confused. They want you to never figure out your own style, and they most certainly don’t want you to build a closet that is filled with clothes you love. Come on, if you were actually happy with all the clothes in your closet you would not be out in the stores buying the newest trend which, totally sucks for the fashion industry. They want you to be so damn confused that you will blindly buy the ugliest crap; I mean seriously they are selling us neon colors and maxi dresses. Seriously? People are snapping this stuff off the shelves and it’s not because it looks so good on people, it looks good on no one. Yes, really, no one. Most trendy pieces aren’t meant to look great and feel great. They are meant to make you feel like you got something going on because, you’re dressed like all the other people who cannot figure it out.

But hey, it’s okay. Fashion intervention is here. I want to totally come clean with you guys here, as I previously said I don’t know everything. I make mistakes and there are days I look bad. There are days where I feel like I gained 50 pounds over night and nothing looks good or fits. I’ve been there we all have. No one is unique in their morning experiences. I want you to think of the most glamorous, well dressed woman you know….okay now picture her flying into a frenzy in the morning because she’s bloated and can’t zip up her pants and freaking out over nothing to wear – trust me it happens. Also trust that the super well dressed lady you thought about didn’t make it happen by accident and she also doesn’t have some ancient knowledge that you are lacking. Chances are she’s trying just as hard as you. The difference is that she has figured out what’s right for her and sticks with it regardless of trends. This is really the way to build a wardrobe, build a style and be well dressed.

Really? No one has it?

What I want you to realize is that nobody has all the answers, I know I don’t. Everyone makes mistakes, no one rocks it perfect every day. I know I don’t. Look at celebrities, you realize that those people do not dress themselves right? They pay someone thousands and thousands of the dollars to dress them and they still look a super hot mess all the time. No one has all the answers, please let that sink in. You will make mistakes, you will throw together a truly ugly outfit and its okay. You gotta stumble before you walk baby! I do not want anyone to feel like a failure if their lightbulb does not click on immediately. To be honest chances are that it will not, it will take some time for everything to sink in and make sense and seem applicable.

Even designers are clueless. Do not rely on those lunatics to show you how to dress. Some of them do great basic pieces (like a great trouser or awesome coat) but if you want to venture out I would not trust them to be your guide. I’m not just talking about big name fashion designers I’m also talking about the people who design for Target and regular stores at the mall. What you have to see is that most designers create their line to give themselves a wardrobe and hey it’s great they love a muumuu and flats but most of us don’t want to look that stupid.

No comments:

 
Site Meter